A flood Can Happen when you least expect it. If your business experiences any water damage, contact SERVPRO of Pueblo.
Though it is not uncommon for floods to be overlooked in disaster planning, the reality is that they are more common than many think. Only 10% of natural disasters do not involve flooding, and floods often affect areas that are not typically prone.
That is why for business owners, planning ahead for flooding is a smart move. Not only will it create a safer work environment, but you will also be able to plan for how to get your business back up and running so there is less of a delay in operations.
While there are many industry-specific flood preparedness actions to complete, there are also some universal ones every business owner should do such as:
- Utilize a flood mapping program like the one on FEMA’s website to gain an overview of your historical risks.
- Store copies of documents in an offsite location where they are less likely to be affected by a flood.
- Draft an Emergency Action Plan using the OSHA-provided resources so staff have a clear manual about what actions to take.
- Regularly host disaster drills and be sure everyone knows the evacuation routes.
- Chat with your agent about insurance coverage and whether or not flooding is built into your policy.
- Consider stocking emergency supplies in case you become stranded awaiting help.
- Place computers on high shelves or other elevated areas if feasible.
As you work toward reopening, having copies of the document on hand even before you’re granted access to your building can cut the timeline exponentially. Here are some documents it is recommended that business owners copy:
- Your continuity plan for continuing operations
- Contact information for any group you may need to get in touch with, such as vendors you work with or staff essential to operations
- Contact information for your insurance agent and a copy of your policy
- Computer file recovery guides
- Any other pertinent paperwork such as your bank records or lease agreement
If your business has experienced a flood, we are always here to help. Call us 24⁄7 to get our team of professionals to your business quickly so you can get back on track.