If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (719) 544-7165

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

A Prevention Guide for House Fires | SERVPRO® of Pueblo

8/12/2019 (Permalink)

A Prevention Guide for House Fires | SERVPRO® of Pueblo

House fires are one of the most common—and the most preventable—accidents that can happen around the home. Though everyone hopes they will never have to deal with a house fire, the chances of not experiencing one rise significantly if you take proper precautions to keep them from starting.

Statistics About House Fires

Because house fires can escalate from smoke to home-engulfing flames in a moment, they are one of the most common reasons for property damage. In fact, a house fire occurs almost three times each minute. This rapid reporting rate shows that there are more fires each year than most might think.

Cooking incidents continue to be the most common cause of house fires, but there are many other things that can cause a flame around the home.

Prevention Tips

It is amazing how quickly a house fire can spread. A small mistake or unattended flame can quickly lead to a raging fire that requires professional attention. That is why preventing fires in advance is key to staying safe. Here are some ways you can prevent house fires:

Test your smoke alarms. Prevent smoke alarm malfunctions by performing battery checks each month utilizing the test button on your unit, and upgrade the entire unit every 10 years.

Remove dryer lint. The inside of the dryer gets hot enough to combust dryer lint if the tray is overfilled, so make it a practice to empty the dryer tray after each load.

Be careful with flames. Open flames from cooking, grills or fireplaces can leap to other surfaces if conditions are right. Never leave a room with an open flame present.

Replace worn wires. Phone chargers and TV cables can often end up in tight spaces, leading to premature fraying. Frayed cords should always be replaced immediately to avoid starting a fire.

Keep chemicals away from heat. It may seem obvious to keep camp stove fluid and gasoline away from heat sources, but everyday household products can also be flammable. Always check the label for instructions on how to keep these substances from combusting.

If your home has suffered damage from a house fire, give us a call. We are certified in fire and soot remediation, and here to help 247.

 

Other News

View Recent Posts