The Case Against Water Damage at Home | SERVPRO® of Pueblo
We’ll always need water for life, but one thing that we could do without is the damage that water can do to our homes and property.
Know that there are many driving forces behind the various types of water damage.
From 2009 to 2015, The Travelers Companies Inc. found that the five most common causes of homeowners insurance claims were:
- Exterior wind damage
- Non-weather-related water damage
- Weather-related water damage
Water damage takes up two of those five slots, meaning that it is a very common issue. It’s best to thing of water damage in terms of being weather-related and non-weather-related.
Non-weather-related damage is the most common factor at home, often coming from plumbing or appliance issues. While just as trying, weather-related water damage is not as common and can stem from rain and snow.
At home, the top five causes of water damage are plumbing issues, washing machine leaks, busted water pipes, aging water heaters and bad weather.
The price of water damage may be high, but it would be much higher if not covered by your homeowners insurance plan. In most cases, the following damages are covered by a standard policy:
- Damages caused by from weight of ice, snow or sleet
- Discharge and overflow of water, even by accident
- Tearing apart, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam or hot water heating system
- Freezing of plumbing and pipes
While water damage can be highly stressful, there are ways to help stave off certain water-related issues.
You can use these preventive fixes and routine maintenance suggestions to keep your home safe from some water damage situations:
- Applying water sensors and automatic shut-off valves
- Installing metal mesh connection hoses on the washer and dryer
- Making sure your gutters and downspouts are free of debris
- Ridding the hot water tank of buildup by flushing it every six months
- Keeping grease out the kitchen sink and drain
These tips can help make sure you avoid some rather costly water damage at home.
Water damage can be a nightmare to deal with, but fortunately, you will always have SERVPRO® of Puebloon your side to help with the cleanup and restoration process.